These vegan and gluten-free tacos are filled with roasted quinoa and tofu, and of course, all the toppings that will make them more flavorful and fun to eat.
Even meat lovers will love these tacos, and chances are this easy recipe will become one of your staples if you enjoy a regular taco night with your family or friends, but also if you are trying to eat healthier to keep your cholesterol and blood pressure in check, or if you are working on increasing your intake of nutritious plant-based foods.
Bon appétit !
To print this recipe, scroll down to the PRINT RECIPE button. It will fit nicely on one page.
- 1/2 cup Quinoa (uncooked)
- 1 lb Tofu (extra firm, crumbled)
- 2 TBSPs Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 2 1/2 tsps Chili Powder
- 1 1/2 tsps Cumin
- 1 tsp Oregano
- 1 tsp Garlic Powder
- 1/2 tsp Sea Salt
- 1 1/2 cups Salsa (divided)
- 1 TBSP Lime Juice
- 1 tsp Nutritional Yeast
- 12 Corn Tortilla (small, no added sugar)
- 3 Avocado (mashed or sliced)
- 1/2 head Romaine Hearts (chopped)
- 2 stalks Green Onion (chopped)
- Cook the quinoa according to the directions on the package.
- Meanwhile, in a dry non-stick skillet over medium heat add the crumbled tofu. Cook, stirring often, for 8 to 10 minutes or until golden brown. Transfer the tofu to a dish and set aside.
- Once your quinoa is cooked, add oil to the pan followed by the cooked quinoa, chili powder, cumin, oregano, garlic powder and salt. Stir to combine then add a third of the salsa, the lime, nutritional yeast and browned tofu.
- Spread the quinoa and tofu mixture into a flat even layer in the pan and let it caramelize for 3 to 4 minutes before stirring and flattening again until quinoa is slightly crispy. Season with additional salt or lime juice if needed. Transfer the quinoa mixture to a dish and set aside.
- Warm the tortillas in a skillet over medium-low heat turning occasionally until soft.
- To assemble the tacos, layer the mashed avocado, remaining salsa and quinoa tofu taco meat on top of a warm tortilla followed by the romaine lettuce and green onion. Enjoy!
- Leftovers: Refrigerate in an airtight container for up to five days. Wait to mash the avocado and assemble tacos until just before serving.
- No corn tortilla: Use whole wheat tortillas, brown rice tortillas, or lettuce wraps instead. This recipe won't be gluten-free anymore if you use wheat tortillas.
- Additional toppings: Add cilantro, sliced jalapeños, grated cheese, sour cream, yogurt, diced tomatoes and/or lime wedges.
Print the recipe
To download a PDF version of this recipe, click the PRINT button below.
What's next with your health?
To receive more ideas on how to establish healthier habits, improve your blood sugar, and manage your weight without giving up the foods you love, sign up for my newsletter. It will come to your inbox twice a month approximately.
You can also use my CONTACT FORM to reach out to me directly or you can request a FREE Discovery Call if you are committed to living a diabetes-free life and want to know more about my approach and how it might help you reach your goals.
The first step toward a healthier life is often to get the support and guidance you need. Go for it! Allon-Z ! Let's go!