Did you know you can enjoy a delicious dish of Mac n' Cheese without an ounce of cheese? Try this Vegan Pumpkin Mac n' Cheese recipe! It is simple, quick, and honestly, crazy good.
My recommendation though, is to not present the dish as "Mac n' Cheese". Because even though it tastes amazing, it does NOT taste like your traditional Mac n' Cheese. So, why pretend? Now try it, honestly, it's worth it! My 3 kids love this recipe, and I do too, even if I am a cheese nut!
To print this recipe conveniently on one page, scroll down to the PRINT RECIPE button.
- 2 cups Brown Rice Macaroni (dry)
- 2 TBSP Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 3 Cloves Garlic (minced)
- 1 TBSP Arrowroot Powder
- 1 cup Unsweetened Almond Milk
- 1/2 cup Nutritional Yeast
- 1.5 tsp Dijon Mustard
- 1/4 tsp Nutmeg
- 1 cup Pureed Pumpkin
- Sea Salt & Black Pepper (to taste)
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil and cook brown rice macaroni as per the directions on the package. When finished cooking, strain and run under cold water immediately to prevent from overcooking.
- Meanwhile, heat olive oil in a saucepan over medium heat and sautée garlic. Add in the arrowroot and milk. Whisk until all clumps are gone.
- Add the remaining ingredients and whisk until thoroughly combined. Turn down to low heat and cook until the sauce has thickened, about 5-6 minutes.
- Pour the pumpkin sauce over the macaroni and mix well. Divide into bowls and enjoy!
- No arrowroot flour: You can use tapioca flour or corn starch.
- No pureed pumpkin: You can use mashed sweet potato instead.
- Spice lover: Add chili flakes, hot sauce, paprika, cayenne, oregano and/or rosemary.
- Even tastier: Feel free to add sauteed onions (1 onion),
- More protein: Add cooked diced chicken, chickpeas or lentils.
- More vegetables: Add wilted spinach, kale and/or sauteed mushrooms.
- Leftovers: Store in an air-tight container in the fridge for up to 5 days.
- Question of perspective: Don't offer this dish to your kids pretending it's "real" Mac's Cheese. They will be disappointed because it tastes delicious but it doesn't taste like the traditional dish. Let them try it with an open mind 🙂
Print the recipe
For an easy-to-file one-page recipe, click the PRINT button below.
What's next with your health?
To receive more ideas on how to live a healthier life, sign up for my newsletter. It will come to your inbox twice a month approximately.