With the right filling and the right kind of bread, sandwiches can be part of a very healthy eating plan. This deliciously healthy sandwich is packed with vitamins and nutrients, but also with plant-based protein, so that you feel satisfied and full of energy until dinner time. No more sluggish feeling after eating a store-bought sandwich for lunch!
If you want to learn how to make your own delicious rustic bread (like the one on this picture), check out my next Virtual Bread Making Class. With only 4 ingredients and in less time than it takes to walk down the supermarket aisle, you will make a fantastic loaf of rustic French bread that will cost you close to nothing.
Bread that doesn't spike your blood sugar!
This bread, because of the way it is made, will most likely not spike your blood sugar as much as another type of bread.
I have been making my own bread for the past 15 years and have come up with a method that is as healthy as possible, super easy, and super quick: the miracle happens while you sleep!
Now, enjoy your sandwich, bon appétit !
To print this recipe, scroll down to the PRINT RECIPE button. It will fit nicely on one page.
- 2 cups Chickpeas (cooked)
- 1 Avocado
- 1/2 tsp Curry Powder
- Sea Salt & Black Pepper (to taste)
- 1 TBSP Lemon Juice
- 6 small slices of Bread (making your own bread is ideal, easier than you think, and cheap, but if you buy bread, I suggest artisan bread or sourdough that doesn't contain any added sugar)
- 1 1/2 cups Baby Spinach
- 1 Tomato (medium, sliced)
- Use the back of a fork to smash the chickpeas and avocado. Stir in curry powder, salt, pepper, and lemon juice until well combined.
- Scoop the avocado chickpea mixture onto the bread. Add the spinach and tomato. Close the sandwich, cut it in half if you wish, and enjoy!
- Save Time: Blend the chickpeas, avocado, curry, salt, pepper, and lemon juice in a food processor to your desired consistency.
- Make Ahead: Prepare your chickpea mixture ahead of time, store it in the fridge, and assemble your sandwich when needed.
- Wrap it up: This recipe works also really well as a wrap. I like Ezekiel sprouted grain tortillas very much for wraps. They don't contain preservatives or harmful additives, so make sure to keep them in the fridge or, even safer, in the freezer.
- No curry powder: Use turmeric or cumin instead
- More Flavor: Add onion powder and minced garlic. Toast the bread.
- Additional toppings: Add cucumber, sliced green onions, diced celery, or red onion.
Print the recipe
To download a PDF version of this recipe, click the PRINT button below.
What's next with your health?
To receive more ideas on how to establish healthier habits, improve your blood sugar, and manage your weight without giving up the foods you love, sign up for my newsletter. It will come to your inbox twice a month approximately.
You can also use my CONTACT FORM to reach out to me directly or you can request a FREE Discovery Call if you are committed to living a diabetes-free life and want to know more about my approach and how it might help you reach your goals.
The first step toward a healthier life is often to get the support and guidance you need. Go for it! Allon-Z ! Let's go!